Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

First off, I'm way behind in reading what has been a big best seller since 2006...but I really liked it, so....

I went into reading this book with some reservations as I am not usually a reader of non-fiction, and I also don't usually like to read books that fall under that 'self-help' category...though this is more of a memoir about one woman helping herself...anyway, a friend lent me the book and told me how good it was, so I gave it a try. The Seattle PI review, while giving away most of the 'story', might give you an idea if it's for you or not (because it isn't probably something that all of you would enjoy after all).

I found myself to be drawn in by the author's honesty about her past, her spiritual aspirations and her thought processes while on her journey....not to mention the amazing people she met during her travels!

6 comments:

Bill said...

this I want to read also, though I couldn't get through the Road, your last recommendation...too dark and depressing.

Anonymous said...

The only thing that stops me from reading this book is that Oprah likes it. But if you like it, I will give it a try. I guess. We'll see. :)

Amy, Bill, Guillermo and Alma said...

HAHA! I thought the same thing when I heard she'd be on Oprah! BUT..it's very NON-Oprah (if you know what I mean) ;)

John said...

Oprah liked The Road, too.

RubyMel said...

I know, I know, and she liked Allende and GGM (Gabriel Garcia Marquez). So thank goodness for used bookstores, where you can buy classics without her hideous logo on it.

Bill said...

It's cheap to make fun of a persons apearance, but has anyone else noticed that Oprah bears a striking resemblence to Princess Fiona, it's the eyes...

All about Guillermo and Alma. Our little people.